233 W. Wilson Street, Batavia, IL, 60510

How Can You Dissolve a Civil Union in Kane County, Illinois?

 Posted on April 15, 2022 in civil union

IL family lawyerBefore same-sex marriage was made legal across the United States, gay and lesbian couples could enter into civil unions in Illinois along with their heterosexual peers and share the same rights as married spouses. But like all long-term relationships, not all civil unions last and when a couple decides to break up, the union must be dissolved. If you are in a civil union in Illinois and are contemplating separating from your partner, you may want the help of an experienced civil union dissolution attorney. Here are three common questions about dissolving civil unions in Kane County.

How Do We End Our Civil Union?

Ending a civil union is very similar to ending a marriage. A partner wanting to dissolve their civil union will need to submit a Petition to Dissolve a Civil Union to the local court and, just as with divorce papers, the petition will be served to the partner. And similar to a marriage, certain issues need to be resolved: spousal support, marital asset division, and, if there are minor children, child support payments, parental responsibilities, and parenting time.

How Long Does it Take to Dissolve a Civil Union?

Couples who can agree on all necessary issues will generally have a faster, less complicated dissolution, but there is no simple formula to predict how long ending the relationship will take. A mediator can help partners resolve differences and focus on problem-solving so they can create an agreement that compromises on the needs and priorities of both parties.

Does My Partner Have to Agree to End the Union?

Partners who both agree to end the civil union can make the process easier and more streamlined, but if one partner does not agree to end the relationship, he or she cannot keep the other partner stuck in a civil union forever. A judge has the authority to end the civil union even if one partner will not negotiate or appear in court. Even if a partner cannot be located, there are still ways to dissolve the civil union.

Call a Batavia Family Lawyer

For help ending your relationship in a respectful and peaceful manner, call the experienced Kane County civil union dissolution lawyer at the Law Office of Van A. Larson, P.C. We can help you manage the legal aspects of ending your relationship so you can focus on your family and adjust to the changes. You can schedule a complimentary case review by calling our Batavia offices at 630-879-9090.




Share this post:
Contact Information         Map and Directions
    • Location

      233 W. Wilson Street
      Batavia, IL 60510

      Mon – Fri: 8AM – 5PM
      Weekends and evenings by appointment. All phone calls and emails promptly and personally responded to and advise if emergency.

      Phone: (630) 879-9090

      Follow us

      Facebook    Twitter    Our Blog

    • Contact us

      NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Illinois State Bar Association Kane County Bar Association
Serving Northern Illinois cities such as Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Batavia, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton, Carpentersville, Dundee, East Dundee, Elburn, Elgin, Geneva, Gilberts, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Lily Lake, Maple Park, Montgomery, North Aurora, Plato, Sleepy Hollow, South Elgin, St. Charles, Sugar Grove, Virgil, Wayne, West Chicago, West Dundee, Yorkville, Afton, Clinton, Cortland, DeKalb, Franklin, Genoa, Hinckley, Kingston, Kirkland, Lee, Malta, Maple Park, Mayfield, Milan, Paw Paw, Pierce, Sandwich, Shabbona, Somonauk, South Grove, Squaw Grove, Sycamore, Victor, Waterman, Big Grove, Boulder Hill, Bristol, Joliet, Kendall, Lisbon, Minooka, Montgomery, Oswego, Plainfield, Plano, Sandwich, Yorkville as well as Kane County, Kendall County and DeKalb County.
© 2015 Law Office of Van A. Larson, P.C. | 233 W. Wilson Street, Batavia, IL, 60510 | 630-879-9090     Disclaimer   |    Privacy Policy   |    Sitemap
Powered by OVC